Wednesday, November 08, 2006

on turning thirty-five...

I can't believe it. I , Jennifer Elizabeth Bailey, who was 13 yesterday and might still be somewhere in this head of mine, will be turning 35 on Friday. Did you hear that...
35...
thirty-five...
T-H-I-R-T-Y- - F-I-V-E !!!! That is half of 70!!!
Last week, I was talking to a young man at our church group and he siad he was born in 1987. He is an adult. In 1987, I was almost done with high school. He is an ADULT.
I know all of you who are older than myself are just chucklin away, thinking "Just you wait, sweetie-pie, just you wait..., " but you need to remember how you felt when you had that defining moment of realization that you were truly getting "old."
That all the young hip twenty-somethings are ALL calling you Ma'am now.
That is has been almost 20 years since you graduated from high school.
That the fashion trends that were so popular in your era, have already passed the "out of date-how did we wear that" status and are becoming the latest "new thang" (bangs, perms, side ponytails, long shirts, leggings under a jean mini-skirt, sam&libby's, neon, blue eyeshadow, legwarmers...!)
That your generations music is now referred to as "OLD school!" HA!
That grey hairs and wrinkles are there to stay...and get worse.
That your body will NEVER look like it did...EVER, no matter how hard you work out.
That your son is only a year away from being a TEENAGER! AAACKK!
And only 3 years away from DRIVING A MOTOR VEHICLE!!!
Egads.
Calgon, take me away.
Just for awhile.
Or at least let me pretend to be 13 for a day.
No responsibilties, no worries, lots of friends, fun and all the food I can eat (with no caloric consequences!)
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME ALL THAT FOR MY BIRTHDAY?????
yeah right.
:)
happy birthday to me.

10 comments:

The Griggs Gallery said...

Happy birthday Jen...

Anonymous said...

I hear you loud and clear Jen! Remember I was there right along with you in the 80's. I will never forget the first time you and I went out in your mom's car right after you got your driver's license. Your poor mom was standing on the porch at your house in Miami waving goodbye to us. Looking back she must have been scared to death! It is unimaginable to me that we are not those girls anymore. However you do have a 3 month head start from me on the big 35...We'll see in 5 five years from now we can both cry together....as we reach the five letter "f" word....But don't think about that...think about the birthday cake you'll have with your beautiful family!
Oh and Happy Birthday, Ma'am (;

Timberlace Designs said...

Ana, you are too funny! Yes, I remember that night in the silver Caddie... I have a picture of that in my senior book... Didn't we go to a basketball game? And Caro was with us too, I think. I can't wait to get together sometime and reminisce. I told the Irvines that we should all plan a reunion for 2009. If we start now, maybe we will actually do it. :)
Another memory jolt: Grover being kidnapped...and Russell kidnapping my 'baby' from Home Ec. and leaving the ransom note saying that the baby would be 'sunny-side up' in the parking lot if I didn't pay up.
ha.
I'm gonna write you an e-mail, cuz I want to tell you something else...
bye.

Anonymous said...

what total fun. i remember all of that.
i don't know whether i was more concerned for you girls or my cadillac!
willcall and write you tomorrow.
love you and love your blog.
you are such an intelligent woman.
mom

Anonymous said...

Ha! You should realize that you are in your PRIME!!! These are the good years! Enjoy them! When you hit 40, it's another story...

Jen, you and Tim and family are absolutely adorable. God has blessed thee well!

WCH

Timberlace Designs said...

Thank you so much. Chris, you are so right. I am very,very blessed. And though I poke fun at getting old, I actually am enjoying discovering the beginnings of wisdom that only come from experience, and looking forward to growing older with grace... :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, I too turned 35 this year, back in March, stinks huh?
I now have to color my hair regularly b/c I have SO many grays! EWWWWWWW And most of them are on TOP, right in front. That is so depressing......
I thought it was your birthday soon...hope it's a good one. I don't know about you but I am totally DREADING 40!! I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown when I celebrate that one.
The thing that I hate most about getting older is the "parts" start to fail. (All the things that used to work now need attention, oiling and so forth!!)
My body isn't what it used to be.
Also, the risk for certain types of cancers goes way up after you hit 35, which is a bummer. On the up side I am eating healthier than ever. I can't believe I will have a 10 year old son soon.....that is really freaky to me!
DOUBLE DIGITS!!! Can I possibly be old enough?
Love ya girl, miss ya tons...
Lisa Willis

Anonymous said...

lemme just say one thing to all you "babies."
you got a whole lot of living to do!
the Lord is nowhere near through with you yet.
even if you do get cancer, He will take care of it. look at me! five times!
and the fun is in the journey. i know that sounds corny (if i can still use that word), but the real truths are "cliche."
because they are true!
i am having the time of my life at (i think it's 72) seventy two years old.
so have a wonderful trip and be sure to enjoy it all along the way!
especially those kids!!!
they grow up too fast.
look at jennifer...

Anonymous said...

Another thing about "greys"... I know with the ladies it's the battle of battles to keep these things hidden, but with us guys it's a badge of honor. When people make fun of my ever growing (then disappearing) collection of "wisdom hair, I blame it on having children...

WCH

Anonymous said...

I miss your blogs...where are you? what's going on