Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A-Baking we will go..A-Baking we will go... Hi-ho-the...

My friend Nichole Gautreaux and I have started a business! I have been thinking and praying about this plan for months, and finally decided to give it a shot.
We are called "bailey & gautreaux breads and confections" and we are selling breads and sweets at the farmer's market on Saturdays. We spent all last week getting ready for our debut, making signs, business cards, labels, tags, etc... And then stayed up ALL night Friday night baking! (Lesson #1 - start earlier in the day...) I had already been feeling the beginnings of a cold, so by mid-Saturday, I was an absolute mess. I ended up home in bed with a horrific migraine...but that's not the point... So, we sold all the bread we baked and even had a few pre-orders for next week. The cupcakes (spiced pumpkin with browned-butter icing and hazelnut brittle) did okay, but would have done better if I had put out a sample earlier(Lesson #2)... Once people were able to taste them, they sold better. We're not sure if we will continue the cupcakes part right now... We'll see. Nicole also made some coffee mixes from scratch that we packaged up real cute... We sold a few of those as well!
I'll tell you one thing, we could not have done it all without the help of Nichole's mom, Janice, who is also a good friend of ours... She was so incredible... no complaints even at 4 AM!!!
We are actually having a business meeting tonight with Hank, who will help us put together a business plan. I spent the day today figuring out all of our costs and overhead and all that good stuff.
Our first priority is to get a better mill, because the little one she has just isn't cut out for so much hard work... We really have to baby it... But I am thankful that we have it!
I took some great pics of our first trial day so here they are...
Also, Nini is starting her own business as well... I will make a special post all about that later with pictures of her and her new "product." You'll see... so cute...
Anyway, here's our business card and some pics. And I am making a website too! I'll post when that is ready...










































9 comments:

morganrenee said...

NO!!! you MUST continue the cupcakes!!! they were AMAZING!!!
i am so happy that this is going so well thus far!!
*dear everyone: the cupcakes were wonderful! you should go buy SIX and eat them all yourself!!! they're all natural, therefore they MUST be healthy, right?? NOW GO GET SOME!!!* :)

i love you, aunt jennifer, and i'm SO glad you put up new posts! you've been busy these past few days!!!
*hugs*
*morgan

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Hope to catch up some day soon.
Ana

Anonymous said...

PS. Do you deliver??? (:

Timberlace Designs said...

Thank you morgan for your raving review! I do need to point out that although the cupcakes are made with 100% organic whole wheat, their "naturalness" stops there... :) The icing is made with good-'ol powdered sugar and butter... I did use organic milk though. If I were to use purely organic and natural ingredients, I would probably have to charge $5 a cupcake! :)
Anyway, I have to agree, they are pretty amazing tasting! I will try to make some more soon, for you if nothing else...
Love you girl.

Timberlace Designs said...

Ana-
I could deliver for a non-nominal fee... :)
If we ever get around to seeing each other before we move, I'll make you some bread and cupcakes!!!
:)
How far apart are we anyway, really?
I'll look into that.

DENISE IRVINE said...

can you overnight?...where are you moving too?

Tiffany said...

Oh...yummy! Everything looks delightful. If I were there I would spend a LOT of money on your foods! :)

princessme said...

oh i think i can smell it from here.... oh wait maybe that's the coffee in the cafe.... oh well....
love ya
allison

Anonymous said...

Thank God there's a Bailey in there to add some Cajun flavor to the baking! I mean, Gautreaux? That's like Irelish or Scottlandian, right?